A Little Paint and TLC

Other moms get flowers from their kids. I get junk. Gotta love ‘em!

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. My son came home the other night with a “gift”. His friend helps his grandfather clean up and maintain several of his rental houses. This is what they found in one of the newly vacated ones.


The set was filthy (there was even mystery chunks on it). It was missing a leg on the table and one chair had two legs that looked like a dog had gotten a hold of them). And I swear it had fleas (the table set, not a dog).

The wheels in my head started turning. My dutiful husband cleaned it for me, and (believe it or not) he even found two table legs at a yard sale for 50 cents. He cut one leg to fit the table and used the other leg to replace the two legs on the chair.

I immediately got to work. I sanded the surface of the pieces first. I really needed a good tooth to the surface so that the purple and the pretty fairies could be covered up with paint. I painted all the pieces using a light grey paint. This worked well as a primer and as a first coat for the legs and bottoms (underneath).

Once dry, I painted a buttery yellow to the tabletop, seat tops and chair backs.

It looked better, but it needed style. I have a stash of old children’s books that I like to use for crafts. I cut out some images and applied them with Mod Podge.

The last touch was a pearl finish over all surfaces. I thinned Folk Art Metallic Pearl White paint half and half with water. I could have used it full strength, but I just wanted a light mist of pearl over the finish.

Do ya wanna join me for a tea party?

 

Linking to:

More Recently Finished Projects

These Back-to-School Eraser Mini Signs were made using the felt erasers given to me by a crafting friend.

The tutorial can be found here.
These rustic signs were a special order for a client. They were done using a reverse stenciling technique.

The tutorial can be found here.

I was in a painting mood the other day, so I transformed this purple wheel barrel (or is it wheelbarrow?). I basically dry brushed gray/green over the purple and then wiped on a walnut stain.


The rustic-antiqued result looks much better.

Have a great day!

Koolaid and Crafting Through a Heatwave

Triple digits again!

I knew we were going to have another hot day, so I decided to do a little bit of fabric dyeing. I don’t like drying these dyed fabrics in the dryer because of the residue it is sure to leave behind. I decided to take advantage of the heatwave we are having. I hung the fabric on the line and they were dry in no time.


I did a little basic dyeing with Koolaid. The color of Koolaid is vibrant in the pitcher, but not so much on fabric. This project called for orange.

This was my basic procedure for dyeing a white chenille bedspread.

Mix two packets of unsweetened orange Koolaid, one packet of unsweetened strawberry Koolaid and one cup of vinegar with 2 quarts of water.

I precut smaller pieces of the bedspread, wet them down with water and submerged as many as would fit comfortably in the dye bowl. After moving them around until I was sure they were well saturated, I put the bowl in the microwave and heated for 10 minutes on high. I then let the fabric sit in the dye for 20 minutes longer.

I rung out each of the pieces and hung them on the line to dry. Note: I did not rinse them before drying. From previous experience with Koolaid, the color will drain out during rinsing. The pieces were for craft projects, so I wasn’t too concerned about bleeding later on. Btw, it is also probably a good idea to wear rubber gloves for this process. Uhm…yep, I’ll admit it, I didn’t have any and decided to go ahead anyway. BIG mistake. I think my skin is oranger (I’m pretty sure that’s a word) than the dyed fabric.


This is what I made with my Koolaid dyed chenille. These pumpkin lights were made with repurposed electric Christmas candle sticks. When the article/tutorial is published, I will post the link.


During this heatwave, I tried to work inside as much as possible. I also completed this box of primitive Halloween cats. They were made using wool from old suits from the 50s. Ya just gotta love cheap craft supplies.


These spool peg racks also got finished.

Again, when the articles/tutorials are published I will post the links.

Thanks for stopping by!

Two Recent Projects and Tutorials

Just a couple of my recent projects and tutorials I thought you would enjoy.


Light Bulb Wall Vase
I was a little skeptical about accomplishing this, but it was surprisingly easy.


Craft a Scrap Wood Rustic Table

This one is so versatile. Just by changing the size, it can be a bench, stool or dining table.