41 Comments

1. Sandy

It is really too bad that the house couldn’t be saved as to such history with the paintings and more. The jars and other items are very collectible and quite a few items can be recyled into yard art, etc. The barn board is good for furniture…So have fun and enjoy your gift.

2. Thomas Forthe

That is awesome! Modern housing has no character, but this one exudes it. Very cool gift.

3. Michelle Devon (Michy)

How will you clean the jars up? Looks very interesting! I’d be afraid of spiders… but other than that, I’d be in heaven if I could have done something like this years ago when I still crafted regularly!

• Cyndee

So glad everyone seems to be as excited about this as I am!

Michy, I’m not sure what I’ll need to clean the jars. I’ve never tried to clean out a jar that has food close to a century old in it. It will be a learning experience for sure.

4. Maureen

How awesome! Who knows what is underneath some of that stuff. I just read that denture tablets, left in water in jars overnight, cleans them. Haven’t tried it yet myself. With that many jars you’d have to buy it by the case! lol

• Cyndee

Maureen,
      What a great idea! Yep, if it works I will need to buy stock in the company.

5. Stephanie @ The Cozy Old Farmhouse

{Squeal!!!} That is every junker’s dream!!! My jaw kept dropping as I scrolled through your pictures! What treasures there are in there. I must admit, I’m a tad bit jealous. : ) I’m going to follow your blog now if only to see the progress on this place. So much fun!

6. Terry Moore

This is so interesting and I am from Kansas but no longer living there. My son still lives there and we will be visiting him in May. Where do you live? I am from Wichita and my son lives in a small town close to the Oklahoma border south of Wichita named Dexter. My sister lives in Oxford and works in Wichita.

• Cyndee

Terry,
      What a wonderful small world we live in! I am in Winfield, and the house is in the country on the west side of Oxford.
      I sent you an email.

7. karen bates

Holy cow, what a gold mine! You can repurpose with that stuff….forever! What wonderful generosity! You will have to make her something from the old house. Have fun! I would be there in a heartbeat!

8. Krysti

That is so incredible. I was drooling over each picture. You must have made a great impression on her for her to remember you and your work when this opportunity came up. How sweet of her. Have fun! I can’t wait to see all of your creations!!!!!! I will be following along with excitement (and a little bit of jealousy). 🙂

9. Shirley

Wow! What a gold mine. Good luck and I will love to see what you do with all of this new found treasures.

10. Verna

Wow, I sure see a lot of treasure in that old house. How wonderful for you. Hope you share some pics when you get everything out and cleaned up.

11. Cheryl

OMG! A whole house full of junk to make things from…and the exterior is a treasure trove too. I like the curved wood trim along the sides and the aged clapboards. What an amazing gift and an amazing opportunity. Wow…just Wow!!! Can’t wait to see what you do with it.
    Cheryl

12. Michelle

This is awesome! Last year we took apart a 100 year old Iowa farmhouse before it was knocked down. After a LOT of hard work we have new 100 year old oak floors in our master bedroom 🙂 We have many other treasures from there too! Good luck on your *treasure hunt*…wear gloves!
    Hugs from Iowa,
    Michelle at Pine Needle Hill

13. laurie

I’m so happy for you about all the wonderful treasures waiting for you in that house! You’re going to have a ball unearthing all of it! 🙂 But it’s so very sad to see a house that was once so beautiful gone to waste. 🙁 So much history there…..

xoxo laurie

14. Kim

I love serendipity! Congrats on being the recipient of such a kindness. Now the fun begins as you honor the gift by making beautiful things and figure out how to pay it forward. :- )

15. Sonya

Wow! What a generous lady! And what potential you have with this old house. I especially loved seeing the old paintings of the house.

16. Tonya@mycozylittlefarmhouse

Visiting from Under the Table and Dreaming. WOW! An entire house to salvage. Very eciting but makes me sad at the same time the house couldn’t be saved. You are definitely in for quite an adventure.

17. Janet

Wow! You must have made some kind of impression on Mary!! She could sell the jars alone for a small fortune. Have fun!!!

18. judi

wow…wow…wow! how awesome of an opportunity. can’t wait to see what you do with all that beautiful wood and treasures inside. it’s like being an american picker!

19. ragemanchoo

Looking at the photos of the house, if you’re standing in front of it, I’m guessing the two-story section was attached to the left-hand side? I get the feeling the old section has been removed for a long time, since that left side of the house looks original, with roof overhangs and everything. Interesting post..