Dresser to Bench (and BIG news)

11-DSCN6833Dresser to Bench

04-DSCN6000This dresser has a lot of nostalgia attached to it. It belonged to my parents for as long as I can remember. It held Daddy’s treasures from his Navy cruises and Mama’s jewelry, plus other things that my siblings and I probably were not supposed to see.

Years after us kids left home, the dresser was replaced and it was forgotten in not-so-good storage. Water and drastic hot and cold weather conditions caused a lot of exterior deterioration. When my mom moved from the farm, the dresser was headed to the burn pile. Junker that I am, I couldn’t do it. I was sure it still had life in it, so it went to live in our barn for a bit. Everyone thought I was nuts.

A few years later my oldest son moved back home for a few months. Since he didn’t have a dresser, we made do with grandma and grandpa’s old dresser. When he moved out again, another son started using it. Finally it went back to the barn. We’ve had two yard sales since then, but I refused to add it to the sales. Quite frankly, I didn’t think it would sell in its sad state anyway. That was okay because I had a plan for it.

05-DSCN6808I removed the drawers…

06-DSCN6810…and popped off the top. The drawers were all different heights, but the top of the bottom drawer was the perfect height for a seat. I removed all of the front rungs except for the rung above the bottom drawer. I also pulled off all of the peeling veneer. As the project evolved I realized I really didn’t need to do that.

07-DSCN6813I created the seat with pallet boards. Surprisingly the dresser had good strong bones, so I attached them right to the drawer braces on the inside.The back and sides on the inside of the dresser got the same treatment.

08-DSCN6817Pallet boards were also used to cap the top of the sides and back. I also capped each front side. I had some old trim that I cut and added along the top and bottom of the bench on the inside.

12-DSCN6834I thought I would be able to keep the drawer on the bottom, but on closer inspection I realized it wasn’t going to cut it. I removed it and added a shelf.

10-DSCN6832The whole piece was dry brushed with a buckskin colored paint.

13-DSCN6839I cut old galvanized roofing to cover the sides and back on the outside of the bench. One side of each panel was in pretty good shape, but I loved the rustic look of the rust. I embraced the rust.They were clear-coated and centered on each side.

09-DSCN6831Now that’s a transformation. I think it would be a perfect addition to a mudroom, don’t you?

Now, on to the BIG news. We are selling our house. The kids are getting older, and my husband and I are not getting any younger. We don’t need all of the land. We are hoping to move to a house in town that has as much or more storage options, with less property to mow and maintain. More storage options? Well, since I will be losing my barns, I will need some place to store my junking treasures. 😉

Enjoy!

Places I’m partying this week:

Monday

Keeping It SimpleSumo's Sweet StuffMakingCreative Corner Hop

Tuesday

PhotobuckethomeworkThe DIY Dreamer

Wednesday

Adorned From AboveWhite Lights on WednesdaysFine Craft Guild
Wow Us Wednesdays

 

Thursday

shabby creek cottageCatch a Glimpse ButtonSomewhat SimpleThe 36th AVENUEThe Taylor HousePhotobucketBeyond The Picket FencePhotobucketThis Silly Girl's LifeDesigned DecorDomestic Superherohttp://www.seven-alive.com/Inspire Us Thursday at Organized 31

All Things Pretty

Friday

The Shabby NestThe Fun In Functional @ Practically Functional - Wednesdays @ 8amHappy Hour ProjectsI'm Lovin' It at TidyMomRooted In ThymeFidlin' Fridays Link Party

Saturday

Too Much Time On My HandsFunky Junk's Sat Nite SpecialYour Homebased MomThe Girl Creative


Sunday

DIY Show Off

Weekend

Lovely Crafty Home