Since the corks were too big for the tree I had in mind, cutting them in half was the perfect option. The cuts didn’t look smooth, but I was using a serrated knife. Yes, a chop saw probably would have created a cleaner cut, but I value my fingers and they would have been a bit too close to the blade for this cut.
And then I was “stuck”. Yep, you’ll get that pun in a moment.
I started out using craft glue to attach them together. Nope, didn’t work. I tried E-6000. Nope, didn’t work. I even tried hot glue. That also did not work. (sigh)
The problem was material the corks were made of. They were not cork. They were rubber. I am assuming wine companies have changed to rubber corks because of price, but I don’t know. What I do know is this particular rubber didn’t like any of the adhesives I could think of. Seriously, I had too many corks to throw in the towel. I was not going to let these corks win!
I finally came up with a different method of attaching. After drilling from one side to the other, on each cork, in each horizontal row, I connected them with wire. Curling the wire ends held the corks tightly together.
I wound miniature greenery garland around the tree, but something was still missing, not to mention I needed to come up with a way to hang them. I tried twine, but it didn’t look right so I tried hemp cord. Perfect! A bow was added to the front-center of the tree and the hanger was threaded through the curls on the top of the tree.
Another project heading to the craft show this weekend.