I love these little tables! While there was technically nothing wrong with them, I bought them to restyle so restyle is what I did.
I’m sure the reason why they were being sold at a yard sale was because the legs were very wobbly. An Allen wrench was all it took to tighten them. The previous owners may have been stumped on what tool to use.
I gave all the tables a good sanding and applied a few coats of a light beige paint.
Each of the painted tables got a light sanding to distress, but they still needed a little something-something.
I found a fantastic wine label graphic on Graphics Fairy. It was the perfect finishing touch for the table tops.
I found this little gem (ahem) on a recent junking weekend with my husband.
First off, the knobs had to go. They were obviously a replacement for missing handles…and they looked ridiculous in pairs on each drawer.
Next came sanding. It became very clear that all my sanding and patching techniques were not going to create a perfectly smooth surface. This desk had history it just wasn’t willing to give up. That’s okay. Even if I don’t know the life of my junking pieces, I kinda like them to have a few scars that can still tell a story…even if I have to imagine it.
The entire desk got a couple of coats of white paint. It really needed that fresh clean base. A lot of people probably would have stopped there, but it was boring. It also magnified every imperfection in the surface.
I decided on a layered, dry brushed technique. I dry brushed a layer of brown paint over the entire surface of the desk…and then I almost cried. It looked so ugly. I was sure I had made a mistake, but I continued. The next dry brushed layer was grey paint. Oh my! Did I lose my mind? I had to keep reminding myself it was just paint and could be painted over.
The next and final dry brushed layer was white paint. Woo Hoo!!! I could finally breathe. That final layer blended all the colors together and gave the surface a beautiful misty finish that I loved. I am so glad I didn’t turn back after adding the first layer. No guts, no glory!
I found some drawer handles in my hardware stash that fit perfectly. They were all sanded and got a makeover with the white paint.
Lining inserts cut from wallpaper provided the finishing touch for the drawers.
I have never used this fencing for it’s original intent, but I had lots of it in my stash when we packed and moved. My husband and kids were going to throw it out, but I just couldn’t do it. I had me some ideas in my head.
Since I’m still decorating our new home, and the theme seems to be repurposing and restyling the unusual, I decided the fencing would fit right in with my existing and evolving decor choices.
I have a place above my buffet that was still in need of a something-something, so I cut a length of the fencing to span just short of the buffet’s width.
After fixing the bends I curled the cut wires on the ends of the fence into decorative spirals.
The wire legs of the fencing were curved up to create little hooks.
With the addition of a wreath and my screen/spindle dragonflies, the display was complete.
Yippee! I think the wall area between the dining area and the living room of our rental house is done.
They say “the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree”…hmm…okay, as I show you this project that my oldest son completed you are probably nodding your head in agreement. Well, that statement may be true, but my oldest is my stepson. Not blood-of-my-blood, but I think my turning trash into treasures has rubbed off on him. Actually, this isn’t the first time it’s happened, and I am so proud of each new instance.
Please keep in mind that my son did not know I would be posting his pics on my blog when he took them. He sent me photos of the trunk in different stages, and I am sure they were taken quickly with his phone. That said, I think you can still see the amazing transformation of his junk find.
This is where he started. Both the outside needed a makeover…
…as well as the inside.
The outside was sanded down to bare metal. He then masked off where needed and primed the trunk’s outer surface.
Then he painted and clear coated the trunk.
Here’s a really clever part. He used an old belt and kitchen handles to rebuild the trunk’s handles.
For the finishing touch on this fabulous transformation, he scraped off the old paper lining and decoupaged pages of a road atlas to the inside.