Woohoo! My Primitive Halloween Cat Tutorial has just been published. You can find it here.
Triple digits again!
I knew we were going to have another hot day, so I decided to do a little bit of fabric dyeing. I don’t like drying these dyed fabrics in the dryer because of the residue it is sure to leave behind. I decided to take advantage of the heatwave we are having. I hung the fabric on the line and they were dry in no time.
This was my basic procedure for dyeing a white chenille bedspread.
Mix two packets of unsweetened orange Koolaid, one packet of unsweetened strawberry Koolaid and one cup of vinegar with 2 quarts of water.
I precut smaller pieces of the bedspread, wet them down with water and submerged as many as would fit comfortably in the dye bowl. After moving them around until I was sure they were well saturated, I put the bowl in the microwave and heated for 10 minutes on high. I then let the fabric sit in the dye for 20 minutes longer.
I rung out each of the pieces and hung them on the line to dry. Note: I did not rinse them before drying. From previous experience with Koolaid, the color will drain out during rinsing. The pieces were for craft projects, so I wasn’t too concerned about bleeding later on. Btw, it is also probably a good idea to wear rubber gloves for this process. Uhm…yep, I’ll admit it, I didn’t have any and decided to go ahead anyway. BIG mistake. I think my skin is oranger (I’m pretty sure that’s a word) than the dyed fabric.
During this heatwave, I tried to work inside as much as possible. I also completed this box of primitive Halloween cats. They were made using wool from old suits from the 50s. Ya just gotta love cheap craft supplies.
Again, when the articles/tutorials are published I will post the links.
Thanks for stopping by!
This jumper has never done it for me. I can appreciate the patriotic design, but not the jumper design itself. I have had it for several years, but I don’t think I have worn it even once.
Why get it out now?
For the last couple of years my husband and I have had quiet Independence Day evenings at home while the kids went out to celebrate with their friends. I have rather enjoyed it, but this year, my husband wants to go to a fireworks display.
Okay, to get into the spirit for our “date” I decided I needed something new and patriotic to wear. Honestly, I could have just gone shopping, but it’s just too darned hot. Also, if you have ever lived in a small town you know that shopping options are very limited. The whole town looks like they all got dressed from the same closet.
I cut straight across the jumper, just above the pockets. This gave me the perfect length for the top. The jumper is made of a jersey fabric, so I decided to sew a zigzag stitch along the cut raw edges. I stretched the edge slightly to allow is to ripple. Yippee! The top is done!
I opened the crotch and had a tube. I turned the tube inside out and positioned the crotch edges on each side edge. This will make one side of the tote blue and one side with the red and white stripes. I pinned and stitched the side edges and the top cut edge. The top cut edge of the shorts will be the bottom closed edge of the tote.
To give the tote a flat bottom, I stitched box corners.
After turning the tote right side out, you are probably thinking I screwed up. The pockets are now upside down and sewn shut. No big deal. I simply cut slits in the pocket for access. Remember, the fabric is jersey and doesn’t require finishing the edges.
One of my recent articles on Yahoo! Shine
Sew a Drawstring Cover for a Cricut Expression
I love crafting with my Cricut, but it needed something to camouflage it from view when it wasn’t in use. This worked perfectly.
Even if you don’t sew much, this pattern is simple enough for a beginner. Enjoy!