Somehow I had accumulated quite a pile of window shutters, so when an opportunity to write an article on projects to make with window shutters came along, I was thrilled. It was just the incentive I needed to reduce my pile.
For years I have wanted a wood clock face. More recently I have seen them on just about every episode of my favorite HGTV show, Fixer Upper, and Pinterest is overflowing with styles and ideas. They looked easy enough so I decided it was time to just do it. What was I waiting for?
Just like my signs, I started out by building the base. In this case, I started with a square. Actually, I should back up a bit. I started out by making a large circle pattern. Since I didn’t have anything that was the size I wanted for a circle, I had to figure out how to make my own. I made a make-shift compass using a yardstick. I drilled through one end to give me the center of my circle’s radius. I tacked through the hole, through my pattern paper and into my work surface, then placed a pencil next to the yardstick at the length of the radius I wanted. It was then a matter of simply rotating the yardstick 360 degrees to draw my circle.
I traced the pattern onto the square base and cut out my circle.
The circle was then dry brushed with white.
The numbers were a whole other animal. I made a stencil for each number in much the same way as I my other signs, but getting them positioned was a bit of a task. Even though each number was the same height, each Roman numeral was a different width. They needed to be centered at each number position without becoming crowded. I made three sizes of stencils before I finally had a good fit. Another key point to making the stencil is that all the numbers face the center. This means the “six” will be upside down. That seemed kinda weird to me, but after browsing all the clock faces on Pinterest, it seemed to work.
After all that the stenciling was a piece of cake. 😉
I picked this chair up at a local auction a couple of weeks ago. There were a lot of chairs at the sale, but there was a bunch of competition with the bidding. I prefer cheap, so I patiently waited. I finally snagged this one. I actually think the other bidders took pity on me because I wasn’t getting anything. LOL! Then again, it may have looked like too much work. 😉
The transformation began with paint. Paint can work wonders, but there was still the glaring problem of not having a seat.
I decided to make a woven seat out of fabric. Digging through my stash, pink prints just seemed to be calling to me.
What do you think?
I now have things at Trunk N Treasures in Winfield, Kansas. If you are local or visiting, come by for a look. You can also find Trunk N Treasures on Facebook.
Whew! It’s been a bit since I last posted. I’m still here, I’ve just been working on articles for Love To Know and projects I sell locally. Sometimes I get into the flow of things and forget to take pics…
…and sometimes I forget I have the pics after I have written tutorial for others sites…
…and then I wake up and share!
I had a lot of fun coming up with these projects for metal stamping. Years ago my dad had given me a basic metal stamping kit. Honestly, I wasn’t sure what I would ever do with it. Turns out it was a blast to play with. These projects would be great for craft shows.
Stamped Belt Cuff
These cuffs were made using old belts for the base.
Votive Candle Sleeve
Believe it or not, the metal I used for this candle sleeve was actually an aluminum oven liner.
Lucky Penny Key Ring
Stamping coins was “harder” than I thought it would be, but practicing only cost me pennies. 😉
Do you want to give it a try? You can find the free tutorials here.
Yep, I’m at it again! Even though it takes a lot of time and is a bit fiddly, I love making stencils with my Cricut. While the sayings or quotes may not be original, my take on them is my own design. I hope you enjoy them.
We’ve had a lot of opportunities to get outside and cut wood this winter. Knock on wood (pun intended). Our winter has been pretty mild.
I put the signs together in much much the same way as I have previous ones. Pretty basic.
Because this was an Irish blessing, and with St. Patrick’s Day just around the corner, I debated on what colors to use.
I finally opted for neutral black and white so that the sign could be used for holiday decor, as well as everyday home decor.
The particular font I used on my Cricut did not have a comma, so I created my own and added the commas after the rest of the sign was stenciled.
I did add a touch of green raffia to the rusty wire hanger as a nod to St. Patrick’s Day. The raffia is just tied around the wire so it can easily be removed or replaced with a different color.