A few months ago I stitched a bunch of stuffed owls made from old sweaters. They were made very primitively. The stitches were mostly uneven (on purpose). I liked them, but I figured it would take someone that could appreciate that look to love them. Seems I found several people who appreciated that look. I sold all my owls at a recent craft sale. One customer even asked if I would make a butterfly.
I started out by making the pattern. I folded a standard sheet of card stock in half and sketched half of a butterfly. I cut out the shape through both layers. Once unfolded, the whole shape of the butterfly was revealed. I wanted the butterfly bigger, so I laid the shape on a scrap of wallpaper and traced it an inch larger. I decided the smaller shape would be a nice layer to the top. I made additional patterns for the wing patches and the spots.
I’ve been in the process of completing this project since my stepson and family left two weeks ago. I made a DVD slide show with all the pictures we took with our camera, and all the ones they took with theirs. The slide show turned out to be about 16 minutes long. Much too long to be burned without music. Too boring! The music was my sticking point until last weekend. We had more company just for the weekend, and this company shared his expertise in movie making. Okay, to be honest, my slide show isn’t really a movie, but my company had the movie making knowledge, and was willing to share a bit of it with me.
With music added and the DVD burned, the only thing left to do was make a cover for the case. Now that is something I can do.
Using my Cricut, I cut a 4 3/4-inch circle from the Doodletype cartridge and the flwr5s (flower) from the Home Decor cartridge. The flower was cut at 6 inches. It was actually much smaller than that, but the Cricut measurement for this flower needed to be enlarged for some reason. It was an upper-row image, so maybe that had something to do with it. The circle was cut using light blue card stock, and the flower was cut using yellow card stock.
I measured the inside cover of the DVD case. It was 4 3/4 inches square. I’m sure this is a universal measurement, but I wanted to make sure. I cut the square a hair larger than 4 3/4 inches to ensure it would fit snug into the case. I didn’t want it to wiggle loose. I used a light green card stock for the square.
A little note about the paper used. The paper cover is not secured to the inside of the case with glue. It is held by small clips on the inside edges of the case. Card stock has a stiffness that doesn’t sag, so I didn’t need to worry about it slipping out of the clips. I have tried regular scrapbook paper, but it proved too flimsy. That said, I do think the thinner paper layered on top of the card stock square could be used for this project.
The cuts of the paper pieces were just too perfect. Too add another dimension to the project, I stitched around the images using my sewing machine and blue thread. You may be wondering if I was wearing my glasses while sewing. (giggles) Yes, I was. My intention was to soften the cover with a whimsical, primitive embellishment.
At one time or another, I had purchased a box of fabric at an auction. When I got it home, I was surprised and pleased to discover quite a few pre-cut 4-inch squares in the bottom of the box. At the time I wasn’t sure what I would do with them, but with fall craft shows just around the corner, I dug through the box and pulled out all the squares that I thought would work for fall. I considered, arranged and stitched until I came up with a seasonal design. Checkered pumpkins.
Things You Will Need:
Fabric scraps ( Live on the edge and choose colors that are completely unexpected.)
Hand-sewing needle and thread
Black crochet thread
Long soft-sculpture needle
Stick from your yard
Silk fall leaves
Hot glue gun
Yep, my fabric choices may surprise you.
Using an even amount of two different fabric designs, I arranged 28 squares in a 4 x 7 grid.
I sewed the squares together using a 1/4-inch seam allowance.
After the seams on the back were opened and pressed flat, I folded the checkered fabric in half with the short ends together and the right side on the inside. I then sewed the short ends together. This created a tube.
Without turning the tube right side out, I sewed a running stitch around one open end and gathered the end closed.
The checkered bag was turned right side out and stuffed.
Thread approximately 2 yards of the black thread onto the long needle and knot the end. Insert the needle down through the thumb hole of the pumpkin and out the gathered center of the bottom. Bring the thread up along the side of the pumpkin to create an indented spine. Repeat until you have made six evenly spaced indented spines around the surface of the pumpkin. Finish with a knot on the bottom of the pumpkin.
Head out to your yard and find a stick about the same thickness as your thumb. Break or cut it to measure about 5 inches long. Burrow you finger into the thumb hole and down into the stuffing. Squirt hot glue into the hole. Insert half the length of the stick into the well.
Tie a couple strands of raffia around the stem, and hot glue silk fall leaves to the base of the stem.