I love old windows, even the ones that are missing glass. I had two like the one above. Actually, one window still had one pane still intact. It was easily removed. Yep, I’m fearless that way.
I decided to turn them into American flags just in time for the Fourth of July. The inside dimensions were perfect for using 13 laths for the flag stripes.
After placing the laths together to trace the edges of the blue field, I separated them and dry brushed each lath with the appropriate color.
I hemmed and hawed over what to do with the window frames, so I asked a few friends what their thoughts were. The choices were to leave them as is, stain or clear coat them, or dry brush them red, white or blue. The clear winner by all was to dry brush them red. I have the smartest friends.
I attached the laths to the back of the frame, leaving small gaps between each one to fill in the space.
Lastly, a large star was stenciled over the blue field.
Okay, maybe the star wasn’t last…I decided to add two laths running vertically on the back to give the stripes more stability.
They say “the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree”…hmm…okay, as I show you this project that my oldest son completed you are probably nodding your head in agreement. Well, that statement may be true, but my oldest is my stepson. Not blood-of-my-blood, but I think my turning trash into treasures has rubbed off on him. Actually, this isn’t the first time it’s happened, and I am so proud of each new instance.
Please keep in mind that my son did not know I would be posting his pics on my blog when he took them. He sent me photos of the trunk in different stages, and I am sure they were taken quickly with his phone. That said, I think you can still see the amazing transformation of his junk find.
This is where he started. Both the outside needed a makeover…
…as well as the inside.
The outside was sanded down to bare metal. He then masked off where needed and primed the trunk’s outer surface.
Then he painted and clear coated the trunk.
Here’s a really clever part. He used an old belt and kitchen handles to rebuild the trunk’s handles.
For the finishing touch on this fabulous transformation, he scraped off the old paper lining and decoupaged pages of a road atlas to the inside.
I have drooled over other blogs with beautiful grain sack pillows, but I have never been lucky enough to find a good deal on the sacks. I have never found them at auctions or yard sales, so I regularly check Ebay for affordable listings. No such luck. Ebay has plenty of listings, just not at a price that I’m willing to pay.
While visiting my husband’s brother and his wife in Nebraska last fall, I went junking in a few little shops that surround the town square. I found ag grass seed sacks for $1 in one of the shops and grabbed a few. At that time I really didn’t have a plan for them, but I figured for $1 a piece I could use the fabric for something. With packing and moving shortly after that, I kinda forgot I even had them.Since I had no real attachment to the throw pillows on my couch (they just weren’t anything special) I had been looking for an idea to inspire me to change them. My outdated couch has kept me from making this a priority. I figured why change them before getting a new couch. Well, I just haven’t found the right couch yet…so, time for new pillows.
These pillows actually came with our love seat. The solid tan side matches the seat, but the weird animal print side…meh, not so much. Don’t judge me.
I restuffed the pillows, then covered them with white fabric to cover the color and designs of the fabric.
I was able to cut three pillows from each sack.
Some red paint and a little bit of time transformed the fabric into French striped grain sacks.
AND I have convinced myself that they make my outdated couch look better! Well, sorta.
If anything needed revived, it was this nightstand. The paint color and application was…um…interesting. Now I can’t say I don’t like green, after all, I just used a similar shade on the eaves of my shutter birdhouses, but this shade did not appeal to me. Actually I cursed this awful paint color as I sanded and sanded and sanded and…
Have I mentioned how much I hate to sand? The worst part was the drawer sides. Yep, they had been painted green and were causing the drawer to stick and stutter. Technically I could have lightly sanded the sides and painted over the green sides, but in our Kansas humidity it would have continued to have a sticking issue. I ended up completely sanding off the green from the sides of the drawer.
That was enough of that! The rest of the nightstand got the light sanding and new paint painted over the old. A barn red paint started the western revival. I still battled the humidity, though. After overnight drying, the nightstand was still tacky. I rubbed it down with baby powder to draw out some of the moisture, then I mixed a little P of P into my paint and gave it one more coat. The surface felt much better.
I added a few stenciled stars to the top of the nightstand for more western charm.
The old knob just didn’t seem “western” enough, so I added an iron star and bronze/black knob.