While cleaning the barn I found a project that I never finished. That never happens (cough). 😉 This scary chair was actually one of a pair. Years ago I found them in a ditch on a country road. By themselves, neither one was any good, but I loaded them up and took them home because I figured what was good on one could repair what was bad on the other.
I never had intentions of reupholstering (shudder), who knew what they would smell like inside a house…and let’s be honest, the padding looked like a critter house.
Where was I when I gave up working on them years ago? I had completely stripped one chair. Goodness! Staples and nails were everywhere. That’s probaby why I gave up. I can vaguely remember numerous cuts and scratched knuckles.
Once I unearthed them again, I had to make a decision. Toss them or figure out what their purpose was to be.
The stripped chair had cracked and split back legs. That seemed to be its worst structural issue.
The other chair had good back legs.
No problem. I would remove the good back legs on one chair and reattach them to the other chair. Yep, I knew that sounded way too simple…I could not find a joint/seam at the top of the legs. Looking closer at the chair that had already been stripped, I realized each leg was actually one piece that extended upward and framed the chair back.
I got out the saws and cut them off. Even that simple step had numerous issues, but I won’t bore you with all of them. Regardless, I was determined to make my idea work.
On with the show! The easiest and most instantly gratifying step. I cut pallet boards to fit across the back and seat frame. They were each attached with a nail gun. This took less than half an hour. Whew! After the previous ordeals I was psyched.
Dry brushing the entire thing completed my rustic stoop chair.
More Furniture Inspiration!