A lot of you have messaged, commented and emailed me asking for the mini crocheted teddy bear tutorial.
Woo Hoo! It has been published. You can find it here.
If you do not want to make your own, I do have them for sale in my Etsy shop.
Another window of opportunity. The temperature today was in the 50s and it was sunny. Tomorrow’s weather takes a header again, so I took advantage of today’s reprieve.
A new sign was just busting to come to life. I started by making a stencil with my Cricut. If you don’t have a Cricut or die cutting machine, printing enlarged letters from your computer will also work. Just choose a font and go for it. Use a craft knife to remove an “L”, “V”, and “E” from the paper. Btw, I use card stock for my stencils. It will last for several projects. I also cut a heart shape for the “O”.
Now, I will admit I made the coiled, fabric flowers a couple of days ago when it was cold. They are an easy, watching-tv, project.
I arranged the flowers inside the traced heart shape until I had complete coverage, then one by one I applied glue to the backs. I love hot glue, but just to be sure the flowers don’t come off later, I used a combination of craft glue and hot glue to attach.
Sawtooth hangers were added to the back, at the top of each brace.
I’ve got spring fever. Yep, I said it. I also knocked on wood just now in hopes that I don’t jinx it. We have had a few days of mild weather and I am excited. I shouldn’t be…it seems like a good portion of the country is bracing for a doozy of a winter storm. We’re bound to get some kind of trickle down from that.
Rather than dwell on what could happen, I am enjoying what we have now. I dug out my vintage hankie collection to make spring chicks. I think they will look cute for Easter and decorated spring vignettes.
You may remember my scrappy fabric tags I made a couple of years ago. I loved that idea.
I’m a little embarrassed to say that each step took a little bit of refining until I was able to get a consistent result with each one that I tried. I almost threw in the towel a few times, but the time wasted and each failed attempt just made me even more determined to make it work.
My first fail was cutting the strip for the bracelet. I didn’t take into account the quilting stitches on the quilt. Quilting stitches hold a top, middle and bottom layer together. When I cut a small strip, it basically peeled apart in large areas. Stitching on vintage quilts is also unreliable. There were areas where the seams came apart. AARGH!
The next step was getting the words onto the strip. I decided to use my character stitches on my sewing machine. That worked the first couple of times and then…AARGH! Old quilts can be kinda lumpy and my machine didn’t want to stitch the tiny letters over the lumps. I finally tried stitching the words on muslin. Eureka!
I then stitched the the muslin to the strip in my favorite shabby way.
The next failure was the buttonhole. Yep, for the same reason the character stitches didn’t want to stitch…those !@#$% lumps. AARGH!
Deep breath. I was not going to let this project beat me!
With the bracelet strip placed on canvas fabric and the knot of the loop inserted under one end, I stitched around the edges of the bracelet a couple of times. Just like the shabby tags, I didn’t stitch perfect lines.
My husband and I went to an auction this past weekend and didn’t get anything that we went there for. That’s okay! We didn’t leave empty handed.
My hand went up for this fantastic vintage quilt. The colors and the basic patch square design had the wheels turning in my head. Classic country, Americana accents and, of course, Valentine’s Day were just a few of the ideas that came to mind. Since Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, I decided to start there.
I make a lot of bowl fillers and pillows, but theses little hearts fell in between the sizes I normally do for either one. I still thought the size was charming, so I am calling these “charm” pillows.
I still have some of the quilt left for the country and Americana ideas I mentioned. Stay tuned. 😉