Drawstring Backpack Pattern and Windows 10

DSCF4796Drawstring Backpack Pattern

Whew! What a ride!

Where to start…? Uhm, let me start with the free Windows 10 upgrade, which turned out to be not so free. Sigh…I have a Windows 7 laptop. When Windows 8 came out I had heard so many terrible things about it that it never appealed to me. But wait…Microsoft finally came out with a new, (supposedly) better upgrade that is free for 7s and 8s. Yep, the hype got me. I wanted it. So I reserved my copy and when it became available I clicked the button. A few hours later my organized world fell apart.

It was new, pretty and exciting to see when the new screen finally came up…and then…nothing. No cursor. Hmm…I rebooted several times and finally the cursor appeared, but the touch pad/mouse didn’t work. That little cursor just sat there in the middle of the screen and mocked me. Yes, I had a few curse words for that cursor. Using my phone to contact my online tech guru, we tried to figure it out. Uh…, big problem…no mouse to navigate. The wireless mouses (mice?) we had did not work so I purchased a mouse with a USB cord. That was the first ch-ching of my free upgrade, but it worked.

Had something been disconnected? Was the driver good? Did the driver need an update? Nope, nope and nope. We tried everything. By the next day I decided to give up. I had deadlines that were “whooshing” by. I decided to restore back to Win 7. Yay! Not so much. After the restore Windows Explorer crashed whenever I tried to do anything.

I was done. I sent it out to be fixed (ch-ching) and Middle Kid let me borrow an extra laptop that he had. Now borrowing a laptop is not like borrowing a car. You can’t just get in and drive. Out came my book of passwords to just be able to access the important sites I needed to use. Missing programs was another problem. Thankfully the kid didn’t mind mom adding them. But it was taking time. A lot of time.

DSCF4796Back to the Drawstring Backpack. Before the Win 10 debacle, I had made my pattern, made the bag, taken photos of the steps and written out my notes. Nothing was polished and some info was being held hostage on my computer. Long story short…too late! I finally submitted it to my editor on my deadline date.

So if you have made it through my Windows 10 whining session, you must really want to make this backpack. Well, I hope you do. This bag is so handy and with kids heading back to school it will be a perfect carry-all for their new school supplies.

You can find the tutorial and printable pattern here.

Enjoy!

Replacing an Eyelet

A friend’s daughter asked me on Easter if I would fix her backpack. No problem! She asked yesterday if it was done. Gasp!!!! It has basically been in plain sight the whole time…although I have moved it a few times. Since it seemed so simple, I just kept putting it off. She’s leaving for camp in three days…I MUST get it done NOW!

This is what it looked like when she gave it to me. See that hole in the corner? This is one of those drawstring backpacks. The kind where the ends of the cords are inserted into the bottom corners.

The eyelet had pulled out of the fabric.

I figured a larger eyelet would do the trick…but the largest size I had was the exact same size. ARGH! I did not want to go to the store.

Brainiac Moment!!!!  Okay, more like my junk crafter brain kicked into overdrive. I decided to fix the hole with new fabric, then attach an eyelet I already had.

Can you believe that in my huge stash of fabric there was not one scrap of black canvas. Hmm…Nope!…but I did find some old black jeans. Perfect!

I cut a square larger than the circle and glued it inside the backpack, over the hole. I used E-6000. I then had the foundation I needed for the new eyelet. Woo Hoo!!

This is the inside of the bag. Oops! I didn’t get a pic before I attached the new eyelet…and yes, the cord was reinserted too. Sheesh! I got so carried away with success that I forgot to take pics. Sorry!

TA-DA! This is the eyelet from the outside.

Not all eyelets/grommets are created equal. Some may only have one part. Mine had two. The front part has a taller center shank than the back part. The silver tool in the pic is the attaching tool. Usually this comes in your package of eyelets.

Snip a small hole in your fabric where you are inserting the eyelet. Start very small. You can always cut it larger if needed, but you can’t make it smaller. Work the shank of the eyelet’s front part through the hole in the fabric from the right side of the fabric to the back. Place the eyelet’s back part over the shank of the front part. This photo is what that will look like without the fabric in between.

Hold the parts together. Place them on a hard work surface with the front facing down. Place the attaching tool on the back part. Tap the top of the tool firmly with a hammer. This will squeeze the parts together. That’s it.

All finished and ready for camp fun!