As I mentioned before, the home I am living in now is small. Figuring out how to organize and decorate is a challenge, but I am determined to make it work and give it my personality.
First up…the bathroom.
Yep, there is only one in this house. Making that work with four people isn’t the challenge I am addressing today though.
The bathroom is the size of a closet. Yes, I am standing outside the door for this shot. The bathtub/shower takes up half of the room…,
…while the sink and the toilet take up a quarter of the room. I am standing in the bathtub.
That leaves a quarter of the room for standing. Uh huh. Count the tiles and do the math. There is no ventilation and no electrical outlets in the room.
The sink is a pedestal sink. If the bathroom was larger I would love that, but it eliminates needed storage space and prevents storage space from being added. The medicine cabinet is the only storage space available…unless you count the little shelf above the toilet.
Finding ways to add storage was a true test of my skills. I found lots of ideas on Pinterest, but several issues blocked the ones I liked from becoming reality.
The dream of a long, shallow cupboard on the wall next to the tub was my first disappointment. The (non-functional) wall heater protrudes from the wall…
…and the top edge of the tiles sticks out 3/4 inch from the wall.
I finally decided on over-the-toilet storage as my beginning for building the room. I had first envisioned an enclosed cupboard, but short of building one myself, the only reasonably priced ones I found were made with particle board. With no ventilation in the room I knew that kind of material wouldn’t last long. I settled on a metal one with open shelving.
I ordered it and some canvas bins from Walmart.com.
They didn’t arrive at the same time, but this was my first delivery. I was kinda worried when I saw the size of the box. To put it in perspective, that is my foot on the edge of the box.
This was what was inside. A bath-in-a-box. Yep, assembly required.
The reviews online about ease of assembly were not encouraging, but I am a tutorial reader as well as a tutorial writer…so I put on my big girl panties and got busy.
There were only a few minor issues. Nothing I couldn’t handle. The most difficult was the brace bar that connects the side legs together in the back. That bar has to be attached once the rack is in place because it goes under the tank. The problem with our toilet was the pipe for the water supply that comes out of the wall. It just so happened to be lined up exactly where the brace bar was to go. Hubby to the rescue. He drilled two new holes for the brace bar a few inches above the original ones. Easy peasy!
The bath-in-a-box that I ordered also came with a tp holder that stands on the floor and a rack that hangs over the back of the door. The hook that hung over the door was too wide and caused loud clanging whenever the door was opened or closed. Hubby to the rescue again. He cut off the hooks and drilled small holes into the top of the arms. We attached the rack with small screws through the holes.
When all these pieces were in place, it was time for the personality.
I had used this ladder in the living room of our old house for hanging quilts. It doesn’t work in our new living room, so I repurposed it into a towel rack. Funny how things around me just continue to get repurposed. I think it started out life as a backyard playground ladder.
I love, love, love the curtains…but as the only female in the household I had to insist on them. 😉 I already had a white liner, so technically the curtains didn’t need to be waterproof. The curtains I found are basic lace panels with an attached valance.
A little art work, the added canvas bins and a matching rug have finished it off so far. I still want to add a little more decor, but I feel better about where it’s going now.