You may remember this “vanity” from my birthday junking adventure. It’s actually one side of a vanity. The other side of the vanity, the table across the center and the mirror…, well, they just weren’t there. That didn’t stop me from seeing the potential in the one side that I had though. There were a few obstacles…
The first obstacle was the gap on the top back edge. On a full vanity, the mirror would have fit into this gap. I had to cut off a small chunk on the end so that the gap reached all the way across the width of the vanity.
The next obstacle was the groove that ran down one side. I think a panel must have been attached in the groove. I found some old trim in the barn and cut and attached a piece to each side of the vanity so that it was uniform.
There were also a few colorful words scratched into the sides by a previous (and probably adolescent) owner. I had to sand quite a bit more in these areas.
I removed the handles and painted everything green.A little sanding to shabby it up. I reattached the handles, but I replaced the two knobs on top for something I thought matched better. I don’t think the old knobs were original to the vanity anyway.
The drawers slid in about 2 inches to far. I added small blocks behind the drawers to stop them at the edge of the opening.You can’t see this little detail, but it’s there.
Lastly, I papered the bottom of the drawers with wallpaper that coordinated with the paint color.
Places I’m partying this week: