Another treasure from the barn. It’s so nice to be able to find things now that the barn has been cleaned. 😉
Even though I have had this swing for a bit, I still remember acquiring it. It was a freebie at a yard sale. It was late in the day and the owners were sooo done. Yes, it was rough, but it had great bones.
The chain was attached with bolts that I COULD NOT loosen. Meh. I borrowed bolt cutters and they did the trick. 🙂
I used a wire brush and sander on the swing to remove the peeling varnish and to smooth out the worst of the rough weathered surface. I had some leftover blue/green/gray paint I had mixed together for my screen door potting bench. It seemed like the perfect color for this bench. I have since sold the potting bench, but who knows, the buyer (Hey, Nancy..) may want a matching set.
The legs were a quandary. I had originally thought 4x4s would work wonderfully until I auditioned them with the bench. Ugh! They were not a good match. It kinda looked like wearing clunky work boots with a sun dress…not that I would know anything about that. 😉
Remember all the headboards I found that I had been hoarding when I cleaned the barn? As I was looking around the barn for leg possibilities, a headboard, foot board set caught my eye. I loved the turnings on the legs, so I cut them off.
I trimmed them to bench height…
…and painted them the same color as the bench…
…and then attached them. Touching up the screw heads with paint took seconds.
That’s my biggie tip for this project. Painting the legs before attaching them saves you from awkward painting positions, and you’re able to reach all the crevices with ease.
I also found a pair of old chair arms in the barn.
I used them as a practical solution to cover up the chain holes in the swing, but I also thought they added a touch of whimsy.
Just like the potting bench, I dry brushed white paint over the entire surface.
By the way, I did not throw away the leftover portion of the headboard. Something is already in the works that I hope to show you soon.