I’ve been in the process of completing this project since my stepson and family left two weeks ago. I made a DVD slide show with all the pictures we took with our camera, and all the ones they took with theirs. The slide show turned out to be about 16 minutes long. Much too long to be burned without music. Too boring! The music was my sticking point until last weekend. We had more company just for the weekend, and this company shared his expertise in movie making. Okay, to be honest, my slide show isn’t really a movie, but my company had the movie making knowledge, and was willing to share a bit of it with me.
With music added and the DVD burned, the only thing left to do was make a cover for the case. Now that is something I can do.
Using my Cricut, I cut a 4 3/4-inch circle from the Doodletype cartridge and the flwr5s (flower) from the Home Decor cartridge. The flower was cut at 6 inches. It was actually much smaller than that, but the Cricut measurement for this flower needed to be enlarged for some reason. It was an upper-row image, so maybe that had something to do with it. The circle was cut using light blue card stock, and the flower was cut using yellow card stock.
I measured the inside cover of the DVD case. It was 4 3/4 inches square. I’m sure this is a universal measurement, but I wanted to make sure. I cut the square a hair larger than 4 3/4 inches to ensure it would fit snug into the case. I didn’t want it to wiggle loose. I used a light green card stock for the square.
A little note about the paper used. The paper cover is not secured to the inside of the case with glue. It is held by small clips on the inside edges of the case. Card stock has a stiffness that doesn’t sag, so I didn’t need to worry about it slipping out of the clips. I have tried regular scrapbook paper, but it proved too flimsy. That said, I do think the thinner paper layered on top of the card stock square could be used for this project.
Using a glue stick, the flower was centered on the circle, and the circle was centered on the square.
The cuts of the paper pieces were just too perfect. Too add another dimension to the project, I stitched around the images using my sewing machine and blue thread. You may be wondering if I was wearing my glasses while sewing. (giggles) Yes, I was. My intention was to soften the cover with a whimsical, primitive embellishment.
Once stitched, I slipped it into the case.
To complete my DVD gift, I wrapped raffia around the case and tied the ends into a bow.