Valentine’s Day Porch
As promised a few weeks ago, I am ready to reveal my Valentine’s Day decorating on my porch.
I’m pretty proud of myself because everything I made was done using things I already had.
This sign was made using one of my newest sign stencils. I make them myself using my Cricut. I made my sign using an old cupboard door, but I’m working on my next post showing more I made using old boards from my wood pile. I like the way they came out much better because there were no raised areas to stencil over.
The love sign is another new sign addition. I just happened to have a long board that worked perfectly.
I don’t want to put these signs away after Valentine’s Day so I chose colors that would coordinate with the inside of my house. I think they will work well with my home’s decorated style.
I made the rag swag with my stash of Valentine’s Day fabric. I thought it added a nice spot of color to the display.
And what is Valentine’s Day without roses? Yep, more things I had in my stash that were just waiting for a purpose.
Old Stencil Ornaments
There’s always something that needs a transformation and when I went through my stencil suitcase I realized I just didn’t use these old brown stencil templates anymore. I still like the vintage look of them, but I have newer stencils that work for actual stenciling. Not one to get rid of anything, I decided to try a little restyle.
It took me a few tries to get the look I was going for, but I think I nailed it.
The fronts were dry brushed with white paint. While the paint was still wet, they got a dusting of crystal glitter.
I “painted” the backs with glue and pressed them onto burlap scraps. When the glue dried I cut the burlap around the edges of the stencils.
A line of craft glue was added around the edges, then the glue was sprinkled with silver glitter. I left them alone for a bit to dry. Well, that’s what I told myself, but really it was because I didn’t know where to go from there.
And then it hit me by accident. A happy accident. I was working on another project and bits and pieces happened to fall on the stencils. I liked the way they looked, so I kinda went with it.
A punched hole with a ribbon hanger…
…and a bow completed the look.
Pine Cone Christmas Ornaments
It seems like this time of year gets more hectic every year, but I think I can finally see the end of the tunnel. I have almost completed my shopping, participated in my last craft show of the season, have gotten caught up on writing commitments and am ready to bake up a storm.
Speaking of writing commitments, I want to share my pine cone tree ornament tutorials.
Angel Pine Cone
Snowman Pine Cone
Snow Glittered Pine Cone
I had pine cones littering my lawn a couple of months ago. I gathered them as they fell and threw them in a pot on the deck. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with them, but it sure beat having them fly like small missiles every time my husband mowed the lawn.
You can find the article with full tutorials here.
I came across several different versions of this on Pinterest and just had to make my own.
I had a few horseshoes laying around and my brother just replaced his fence. He gifted me with the old wood. Score!
After making stencils with my Cricut I was ready to rock and roll.
Quick and simple! I love these kind of projects.
After a little stenciling, I attached the shoes with E6000. To secure them really well, I drilled holes through the nail holes in the shoes and used wire to hold them in place.
A couple of sawtooth hangers on the back and these gems were done.
Bentwood Cafe Chairs
My husband and I found these cute chairs at the Rose Hill, Kansas citywide garage sales. They were in very good shape, but because they were placed on separate sides of the yard, we didn’t realize until we got them home that they were not a matched pair. Close, but no cigar. The chair on the right it slightly shorter than the other, the seat is a tiny bit smaller and the curvature of the bentwood on the back is not quite the same.
No worries. They most likely will never be set beside each other. The differences will not be noticeable.
Since they were in such great condition, the most I had to do to get them ready for transformation was to tighten a few screws, clean and sand.
Then it was time for my mad scientist skills to come out. I had my heart set on a certain color of paint, but I didn’t have it. It took me a while, but I managed to mix a few colors that I had to get the shade I wanted. I just love this color.
A light dry brushing of white…
…completed the look I was going for.
They look so fresh and happy.