I have been holding off posting this until the bench was finished.
My husband and I stumbled onto a fantastic “yard” sale. It was actually in the parking lot of a liquor store. Our town doesn’t allow liquor sales on Sunday, so the owners of the store waited until Sunday for their yard sale. They had two large storage units they were emptying, so the trucks just kept coming. We went back several times, and there was always something new. A large part of their success was their extremely low prices.
One of the items I purchased isn’t in the pictures. It was an above-stove microwave. Ours kicked the bucket about two years ago. This particular appliance is kind of pricey, so it wasn’t in our budget to replace right away. The microwave I found at the sale was $15. That isn’t a typo. It was $15! SOLD!!! WooHoo!!
Check out the pink shelf. It also has a hanger on the bottom for a quilt. Adorable! $2
This wire angel was $1. It stands about three feet tall.
This iron candle holder was $2. This one will require effortless transformation. I plan to paint it a shabby chic white and add glass tea light holders.
My husband and I make benches from headboards and foot boards. This set was $2. I know, right? I absolutely could not pass them up.
The metal reindeer and sleigh will also require minimal transformation. I’m thinking shabby chic white (yes, I love that style), a pine wreath around the deer’s neck and a wreath on the sleigh. I will probably top them off with bows. Too cute!
These urns/pots/vases are as beautiful in person as they are in photos. They were 50-75 cents a piece. The metal is very heavy. I love the colors of them. I am not sure what I will do with them as a transformation. They are perfect already.
This $2 cabinet and $1 shelf may be difficult to part with. I want them. Hmmm…we’ll see.
I bought this box to use with a special order for a bride-to-be. The bride had given me a smaller paper mache box to make a card box. I have been waffling on how I wanted to do it. My sticking point was the box she gave me just didn’t seem big enough to insert several cards. There didn’t seem to be enough angle and drop. I am going to make the card box two-tiered with a hole between the tiers, so the cards will drop into the larger bottom box. I love it when I can marry my finds with projects in progress!
This angel is so cute. ($1) It’s a wire similar to chicken wire. I love it, but it practically disappeared in the photo.
This bench is about three feet long. Just needs the screws tightened. It was $3.
I’ve been in the process of completing this project since my stepson and family left two weeks ago. I made a DVD slide show with all the pictures we took with our camera, and all the ones they took with theirs. The slide show turned out to be about 16 minutes long. Much too long to be burned without music. Too boring! The music was my sticking point until last weekend. We had more company just for the weekend, and this company shared his expertise in movie making. Okay, to be honest, my slide show isn’t really a movie, but my company had the movie making knowledge, and was willing to share a bit of it with me.
With music added and the DVD burned, the only thing left to do was make a cover for the case. Now that is something I can do.
Using my Cricut, I cut a 4 3/4-inch circle from the Doodletype cartridge and the flwr5s (flower) from the Home Decor cartridge. The flower was cut at 6 inches. It was actually much smaller than that, but the Cricut measurement for this flower needed to be enlarged for some reason. It was an upper-row image, so maybe that had something to do with it. The circle was cut using light blue card stock, and the flower was cut using yellow card stock.
I measured the inside cover of the DVD case. It was 4 3/4 inches square. I’m sure this is a universal measurement, but I wanted to make sure. I cut the square a hair larger than 4 3/4 inches to ensure it would fit snug into the case. I didn’t want it to wiggle loose. I used a light green card stock for the square.
A little note about the paper used. The paper cover is not secured to the inside of the case with glue. It is held by small clips on the inside edges of the case. Card stock has a stiffness that doesn’t sag, so I didn’t need to worry about it slipping out of the clips. I have tried regular scrapbook paper, but it proved too flimsy. That said, I do think the thinner paper layered on top of the card stock square could be used for this project.
The cuts of the paper pieces were just too perfect. Too add another dimension to the project, I stitched around the images using my sewing machine and blue thread. You may be wondering if I was wearing my glasses while sewing. (giggles) Yes, I was. My intention was to soften the cover with a whimsical, primitive embellishment.
I unexpectedly had guests for a week. It was an anniversary surprise from my husband. He brilliantly fessed up before they came, as he couldn’t figure out how to prepare the house by himself. I love surprises, but not if I am going to be embarrassed by a dirty house.
Among the chaos, I was still able to get a few things accomplished.
I last posted about my new love seat, and all the changes that needed to take place in my living room. I managed to complete a few before my company arrived.
I recovered the footstool with a custom-made cover. If you’re interested in doing the same, the tutorial can be found here.
This is the new cushion cover for the rocker. It was attached using the same method as the footstool. The cushion comes out of the rocker, and the cover was stapled on the bottom of the cushion’s frame.
The new curtain was made using a length of faux suede I had picked up at a yard sale. I made small hems on each side and the bottom, and sewed a casing in the top. It seriously took no time at all.