Another project from The House.
There were so many old canning jars, and I was itching to do something with some of them. I decided to mix up some fixins for potpourri jars. I know, not exactly a new idea, but they look and smell great, I like them, and my customers seem to like them.
For quite awhile, I have been
hoarding saving flowers and bits of this and that to use as fixins. I filled an extra large resealable bag with all the dried flower bits that I had. I wasn’t choosey about the kinds of flowers that went into the mix. If I had it, I threw it in. You would not believe how this method cleaned up a rather messy area of my craft room. 😉 I added apple cinnamon oil to the flowers, closed it up and let it steep for quite a few days.
More fixins. I dug through my bucket of small wood thingies and picked out pieces to add to the mix.
Some of them I stained. Real stain would have added a bad smell to the potpourri, so I used acrylic craft paint. I applied it to the wood and wiped it off before it dried. The remaining pieces I picked out were left plain. I bagged them up and added apple cinnamon oil to steep.
I got out my supply of cinnamon sticks and broke them into small pieces.
I mixed everything together in a large plastic tub and filled my jars. A rusty heart, a bit of pip berries, home spun and raffia were used to decorate the jars. I ended with a tag to label the flavor.