Have you ever wondered what you can do with those old vinyl albums? Even if you are a collector, I am sure you have a few scratched or warped ones that will never sound the same as they did when they were new. Then again, thrift stores and yard sales are practically giving them away, so you don’t even have to disturb your own rockin’ stash for a fun crafting experience.
I found this little gem (ahem) on a recent junking weekend with my husband.
First off, the knobs had to go. They were obviously a replacement for missing handles…and they looked ridiculous in pairs on each drawer.
Next came sanding. It became very clear that all my sanding and patching techniques were not going to create a perfectly smooth surface. This desk had history it just wasn’t willing to give up. That’s okay. Even if I don’t know the life of my junking pieces, I kinda like them to have a few scars that can still tell a story…even if I have to imagine it.
The entire desk got a couple of coats of white paint. It really needed that fresh clean base. A lot of people probably would have stopped there, but it was boring. It also magnified every imperfection in the surface.
I decided on a layered, dry brushed technique. I dry brushed a layer of brown paint over the entire surface of the desk…and then I almost cried. It looked so ugly. I was sure I had made a mistake, but I continued. The next dry brushed layer was grey paint. Oh my! Did I lose my mind? I had to keep reminding myself it was just paint and could be painted over.
The next and final dry brushed layer was white paint. Woo Hoo!!! I could finally breathe. That final layer blended all the colors together and gave the surface a beautiful misty finish that I loved. I am so glad I didn’t turn back after adding the first layer. No guts, no glory!
I found some drawer handles in my hardware stash that fit perfectly. They were all sanded and got a makeover with the white paint.
Lining inserts cut from wallpaper provided the finishing touch for the drawers.
I bought this shelf from a friend a few years ago. She said it was a headboard, but that’s not what I saw. I envisioned rows of hens tucked cozily in nests laying eggs. Okay, I didn’t really plan on putting chickens in/on the shelf, but that’s what it reminded me of.
After cleaning, sanding and securing a few of the vertical dividers that were floating kinda crazily above the middle shelf, I dry brushed the entire thing using white paint.
My stash of salvaged chicken wire was the perfect addition for the back of the shelf. The wire was also brushed with the white paint.
I moved the hangers on the back of the shelf because their location didn’t make sense to me. The way they were attached meant the headboard would have been hung with the long slanted side on the bottom. A slanted shelf headboard with a gap on the bottom and no back would have just frustrated me.
No problem. My vision had the slant on the top like a roof. Perfect for a stenciled country sign.
For my birthday in May, a friend gifted me with calenders that featured sheet music book covers. Even though I have authentic vintage sheet music books, I loved the vibrant colors and pristine graphics of the calender pages.
I had the perfect base for decoupaging a couple of these covers to. An old cupboard door.
After a bit of elbow grease and removal of some of the hardware, I was ready to rock and roll. I couldn’t get the hinges off, and I didn’t want to wait until a son or husband came home, so I decided to leave them attached as embellishment for the “art” piece.
A little paint gave the old surface a much cleaner appearance. I did the entire surface with off white and and then a dry brush of white over the outer frame.Two calender pages fit perfectly inside the frame. I applied several coats of Mod Podge to seal and build up the smooth surface.
A couple of sawtooth hangers were attached to the back for hanging.
Just had to share my husband’s latest trash to treasure project.
I can’t say that old tires are items that get my mind to clicking when considering new trash to treasure projects, but I kinda dig this idea.
I had a tractor tire for a sandbox when I was little and there was always a stack of old tires in the barn. I mirrored that statement into adulthood. When my husband and I moved to town, there was no need for the tractor tire anymore, but somehow the old tires followed us.
About a month ago my sister-in-law shared a photo she had found on Facebook that was the inspiration for this project. There was no tutorial or link to follow, but it seemed pretty easy to figure out.
Basically, my husband hung large hooks on the fence, drilled a few drain holes in the tires and added soil and flowers. Easy peasy! We took the rest of the tires to a place in town that recycles them.