The Rustic Patio Makeover

22-DSCF0892-001When we moved into this rental the snow was flying. Our biggest goal was to just get everything moved. Things got put wherever they would fit. The small patio had a covered roof, so it made sense to pile stuff we didn’t know what to do with there.

I have been working on one house project at a time, and with the weather getting warmer, it was time to take on the patio. It may be a rental, but for now it is home and I want it to feel that way.

14-DSCF0797-001I can’t believe I’m am showing you this, but this is a before shot. Aside from the obvious junk piled on it, there were also a few other issues to overcome.

16-DSCF0797-002There is no light fixture. This is the lighting the previous occupants left us. Uhm. No.

17-DSCF0898-001We took down the dirty, multicolored Christmas lights (half of which were not working) and hung a hanging flower basket with clear twinkle lights in it. I only had a 50-count string, but it was a definite improvement. Even with 50 lights, they look awesome at night.

20-DSCF0890-001To spruce up the back wall and to blend it with our style, I shopped the storage unit for a couple of barn doors. The barn star above the doors is camouflaging the excess cord from the lights.

21-DSCF0891-001The couch is one we had on our old patio, but I added seat cushions and covered pillows for the back.

18-DSCF0895-001The potting bench and coffee table are from yesterday’s post. I also added extra lighting on the coffee table with solar lights in a flower pot and a oil-filled jar lamp placed in a feed pan.

The table and chairs were set just off the patio.

Bring on the summer heat!

Enjoy!

Junk Finds for the Patio

4-DSCF0804Baker’s rack turned into a potting bench.

4-DSCF0886Facelift on an old outdated coffee table.

1-DSCF0792A few weeks ago I picked up this old baker’s rack at a yard sale for $4. It was greasy and dirty, but those were minor problems. For the price, I just couldn’t pass it up. I decided to use it as a potting bench/storage rack for my patio.

2-DSCF0794It also had a few bent rails. I removed the rails and was pleased to see they caused no stability issues.

3-DSCF0801The green and gold finish wasn’t what I wanted at all, so I got out the paint and dry brushed white over the entire rack. I hated it. You could still see the green and the horrible gold shadowing threw. Yuck! I got a tad bit more aggressive. I continued to dry brush and pounce the paint until I was happy with the coverage. I think it was a total of about four coats. I could have painted with strokes of the brush, but I kinda liked the texture of the dry brushing and pouncing.

4-DSCF0804Since I plan on using it to store pots and such on the patio, I decided it needed shelves that were a bit more solid. I cut wood from the scrap pile and simply placed them on the shelf.

1-DSCF0806This old coffee table was in the storage unit. I thought it would also be perfect for my patio.

fb scrap wood tableI wanted to cover it like this scrap wood table.

2-DSCF0808The lip on the top of the table had me stumped. The wood would sit on top of the lip, leaving too big of a gap between the surface and the boards. There wasn’t anything to connect the boards to.

Light bulb moment! I cut and attached braces (similar to studs in a wall).

3-DSCF0811With something to now connect to, the scrap boards were easily attached to the top. That was it for the construction.

4-DSCF0886I dry brushed the entire table and I was done.

I have a few more things to complete on my new outdoor space, but I will be sharing the results soon.

Enjoy!

 

Photo Display Frames

5-DSCF0879More projects from the storage unit.

1-DSCF0752The large frame needed a little bit of cleaning to remove the remnants of a fake wood grain paper. Other than that, it was good to go.

2-DSCF0754The two smaller frames were actually small cupboard doors. I removed the hinges and handles.

Both seemed a bit plain, so I attached some brass appliques using E6000.

Each frame was dry brushed with white paint.

4-DSCF0771I cut some rusty chicken wire slightly larger than the opening and stapled it to the back of the smaller frames.

On the larger frame I turned the frame sideways and cut two lengths of baling wire a bit longer than the width of the opening. I equally spaced the wire in the opening and stapled the ends to the back of the frame. Hmm…I guess I didn’t grab a photo of attaching the baling wire to the back, but I bet you can use your imagination.

5-DSCF0879I used weathered clothespins to attach photos to the wire.

Enjoy!

Festival Totes-The Tutorial

10-festival toteFestival Tote

12-totesThe tutorial for the festival totes I posted last week has been published on FaveCrafts.

11-festival toteYou can find the tute here.

Enjoy!

Chenille Bunnies and Chicks

49-DSCF0781Since moving I have had to utilize every possible empty space for storing my crafts and craft supplies. That included the space under my son’s bed. He’s away at college so I figured he wouldn’t mind. ;) This last week I was going through some containers under the bed and I came across a WIP box of chenille bunnies and chicks that I had made a few years ago.

48-DSCF0759The items in the box were a variety of pre-cut and pre-sewn pieces, along with the other craft supplies needed to complete them. Since Easter is still two weeks away I decided to make them and take them to the store where I sell them locally.

49-DSCF0781Chenille Bunnies

51-DSCF0787Chenille Chicks

50-DSCF0785Squeezable and adorable.

52-DSCF0789I have a tutorial for the chick that can be found here.