Wow! Halloween is a little more than three weeks away! Time to get busy creating!
I love fall. The crispness in the air and the crackle of leaves underfoot mark the beginning of several months of holiday fun.
You have probably already begun creating if you make things for craft shows or gifts, but if you need a few inexpensive, restyled ideas, I’ll be pulling several out of storage in the days and weeks to come. Actually, they really aren’t in storage. I have combed through a few places where my articles and tutorials have been published online. Some may be a few years old, but they deserve to be “unpacked” and displayed once again.
I hope you find something you like. Let me know if anything needs clarification.
This project was published last year on Thrifty Fun, just a couple of days before Halloween. Even though it only takes about two hours to complete, those few days were not enough to do this decoration justice. My kids would also say the witch was around for a lot longer than that. Dig through your closet now and make your own witchy table decoration with a pair of unused boots.
My husband and I stumbled onto a fantastic “yard” sale. It was actually in the parking lot of a liquor store. Our town doesn’t allow liquor sales on Sunday, so the owners of the store waited until Sunday for their yard sale. They had two large storage units they were emptying, so the trucks just kept coming. We went back several times, and there was always something new. A large part of their success was their extremely low prices.
One of the items I purchased isn’t in the pictures. It was an above-stove microwave. Ours kicked the bucket about two years ago. This particular appliance is kind of pricey, so it wasn’t in our budget to replace right away. The microwave I found at the sale was $15. That isn’t a typo. It was $15! SOLD!!! WooHoo!!
Check out the pink shelf. It also has a hanger on the bottom for a quilt. Adorable! $2
This wire angel was $1. It stands about three feet tall.
This iron candle holder was $2. This one will require effortless transformation. I plan to paint it a shabby chic white and add glass tea light holders.
My husband and I make benches from headboards and foot boards. This set was $2. I know, right? I absolutely could not pass them up.
The metal reindeer and sleigh will also require minimal transformation. I’m thinking shabby chic white (yes, I love that style), a pine wreath around the deer’s neck and a wreath on the sleigh. I will probably top them off with bows. Too cute!
These urns/pots/vases are as beautiful in person as they are in photos. They were 50-75 cents a piece. The metal is very heavy. I love the colors of them. I am not sure what I will do with them as a transformation. They are perfect already.
This $2 cabinet and $1 shelf may be difficult to part with. I want them. Hmmm…we’ll see.
I bought this box to use with a special order for a bride-to-be. The bride had given me a smaller paper mache box to make a card box. I have been waffling on how I wanted to do it. My sticking point was the box she gave me just didn’t seem big enough to insert several cards. There didn’t seem to be enough angle and drop. I am going to make the card box two-tiered with a hole between the tiers, so the cards will drop into the larger bottom box. I love it when I can marry my finds with projects in progress!
This angel is so cute. ($1) It’s a wire similar to chicken wire. I love it, but it practically disappeared in the photo.
This bench is about three feet long. Just needs the screws tightened. It was $3.
I unexpectedly had guests for a week. It was an anniversary surprise from my husband. He brilliantly fessed up before they came, as he couldn’t figure out how to prepare the house by himself. I love surprises, but not if I am going to be embarrassed by a dirty house.
Among the chaos, I was still able to get a few things accomplished.
I last posted about my new love seat, and all the changes that needed to take place in my living room. I managed to complete a few before my company arrived.
I recovered the footstool with a custom-made cover. If you’re interested in doing the same, the tutorial can be found here.
This is the new cushion cover for the rocker. It was attached using the same method as the footstool. The cushion comes out of the rocker, and the cover was stapled on the bottom of the cushion’s frame.
The new curtain was made using a length of faux suede I had picked up at a yard sale. I made small hems on each side and the bottom, and sewed a casing in the top. It seriously took no time at all.