These chenille daisy pillows were the perfect project for recycling vintage chenille bedspreads.
Okay, I may have a problem. Not only can I not pass up a good deal on fabric and yarn where ever I go, but I also can’t pass up a chenille bedspread at an auction or yard sale. Since I seem to have accumulated so many bedspreads, I am always trying to come up with new ideas for using them. This chenille daisy pillow it my latest chenille pattern design.
I totally went low-tech for this design. I pulled a stack of saucers out of my kitchen cabinets and arranged them in a ring on a sheet of newspaper. This provided me with petals that were all exactly the same size. I simply traced around the outside of the ring and cut out the shape. Yay, me! A daisy shape was born.
The next step was nothing special. I simply folded the bedspread with the wrong side facing out and cut out the shape through both layers.
Since the chenille bedspreads I used for this project were a bit thin, I decided to head a problem off at the pass by adding a second layer on the inside of the pillows. This way when I stuffed them they would be smooth instead of lumpy. I pinned the two layers of the chenille daisy to one layer of an old blanket and cut it out.
After flipping it over, I pinned the three layers to another layer of the blanket, but I DID NOT cut out this layer. This was to prevent slippage when sewn.
I sewed around the edge of the pillows without leaving an opening for turning. That was not an “oops”. Leaving an opening on curves usually leaves an ugly line when sewn closed after stuffing. After trimming the all seams and the last layer of blanket to a seam of about 1/8″, I used small scissors with a sharp point to cut an “X” opening through one layer of blanket and the bedspread layer below it. This is where I turned the pillow right side out.
After stuffing I hand-stitched the “X” closed, but I had to figure out how to camouflage the stitching. Since I needed a center, I decided on a large button. The only problem was finding a button big enough. I looked through my recycle craft supply bin and found some chewing tobacco cans. The lids were perfect. After drilling a couple of button holes through the lid, I covered it with a contrasting chenille color. Then it was just a matter of sewing the button onto the billow. I used a long sculpting needle with embroidery floss and sewed from the front of the pillow to the back and to the front again. This gave a nice indent to the center of the flower. I tied the ends of the floss on the front.
And that’s it!