The large frame needed a little bit of cleaning to remove the remnants of a fake wood grain paper. Other than that, it was good to go.
The two smaller frames were actually small cupboard doors. I removed the hinges and handles.
Both seemed a bit plain, so I attached some brass appliques using E6000.
Each frame was dry brushed with white paint.
I cut some rusty chicken wire slightly larger than the opening and stapled it to the back of the smaller frames.
On the larger frame I turned the frame sideways and cut two lengths of baling wire a bit longer than the width of the opening. I equally spaced the wire in the opening and stapled the ends to the back of the frame. Hmm…I guess I didn’t grab a photo of attaching the baling wire to the back, but I bet you can use your imagination.
I used weathered clothespins to attach photos to the wire.
For this project I kinda veered away from my vow of not accumulating anything new until I used up some of the things I already had, but…I was gifted with a bag of fabric from a friend that I just couldn’t say no to. I mean, come on, it was free fabric!
I made one of these bags years ago and called it a festival tote because it is so big and convenient for carrying just about anything on-the-go. It’s gone to fairs, to festivals, on vacations and even down in the fraidy hole during tornado warnings.
Isn’t that fabric delicious? Thank you, Faith! I think she said it was left over from curtains.
It has four tabs to criss-cross and close the top.
Since I can’t ever make just one of anything, I redeemed myself somewhat by using fabric I already had to make multiples of the tote. I love, love the tote I made using a pink chenille bedspread. Which one is your favorite?
In anticipation for spring and summer festival season, I’ve already taken them, and a few smaller ones, to the local store where I sell my crafts.
This huge ladder almost didn’t make the move from the old house to this one. Finding a place to store it until I got around to restyling it was a big consideration.
Ultimately I couldn’t stand leaving it behind and I am so glad I didn’t. These ladders were finished in an afternoon. Really! Sheesh! Sometimes I can talk myself out of starting a project when I think it will be bigger than it actually turns out to be.
The ladder was about 16 feet long. Keeping the placement of the rungs in mind, I cut three smaller ladders as close to the same size as possible. They are the perfect height for displaying quilts and other vintage linens, or they can be propped in a bathroom as a towel rack.
A quick dry-brushing of white paint…
…brought out their shabby chic personality.
These ladders will be heading to Quality Outdoor Design in Winfield, Kansas this week.
I guess you could call this shopping in the barn, but I no longer have my barns. Somehow “shopping in the storage unit” just doesn’t have the right ring to it.
Yep, these three chairs were stored in the barn before we moved. The only place to move them was to a storage unit. As the weather warms up I will be going through the units (we have two) to decide what will be sold at a yard sale and what I can use (and still store) for projects. These chairs were a no-brainer. I knew exactly what I was going to do with them.
I went shabby chic. Each chair was painted white before receiving a worn and distressed sanding.