I found some great hand-spun wool yarn at a yard sale recently and decided to crochet acorns.
Crochet Stuffed Acorns Tutorial
They work up super quick! Enjoy!
A few months ago I stitched a bunch of stuffed owls made from old sweaters. They were made very primitively. The stitches were mostly uneven (on purpose). I liked them, but I figured it would take someone that could appreciate that look to love them. Seems I found several people who appreciated that look. I sold all my owls at a recent craft sale. One customer even asked if I would make a butterfly.
Okay. This is the butterfly I made and the basic tutorial for making your own.
I started out by making the pattern. I folded a standard sheet of card stock in half and sketched half of a butterfly. I cut out the shape through both layers. Once unfolded, the whole shape of the butterfly was revealed. I wanted the butterfly bigger, so I laid the shape on a scrap of wallpaper and traced it an inch larger. I decided the smaller shape would be a nice layer to the top. I made additional patterns for the wing patches and the spots.
I cut two pieces from a sweater for the largest butterfly shape. This is the pillow portion of the butterfly. I whip stitched around the edges using embroidery floss, stuffing it before closing.
I cut the smaller butterfly shape from a contrasting sweater and layered it on top of the pillow. The shape was whip stitched to the pillow.
The patches were then layered on.
Next came the spots.
And finally the buttons.
I decided to add a trim around the middle for dimension.
I’ve been in the process of completing this project since my stepson and family left two weeks ago. I made a DVD slide show with all the pictures we took with our camera, and all the ones they took with theirs. The slide show turned out to be about 16 minutes long. Much too long to be burned without music. Too boring! The music was my sticking point until last weekend. We had more company just for the weekend, and this company shared his expertise in movie making. Okay, to be honest, my slide show isn’t really a movie, but my company had the movie making knowledge, and was willing to share a bit of it with me.
With music added and the DVD burned, the only thing left to do was make a cover for the case. Now that is something I can do.
Using my Cricut, I cut a 4 3/4-inch circle from the Doodletype cartridge and the flwr5s (flower) from the Home Decor cartridge. The flower was cut at 6 inches. It was actually much smaller than that, but the Cricut measurement for this flower needed to be enlarged for some reason. It was an upper-row image, so maybe that had something to do with it. The circle was cut using light blue card stock, and the flower was cut using yellow card stock.
I measured the inside cover of the DVD case. It was 4 3/4 inches square. I’m sure this is a universal measurement, but I wanted to make sure. I cut the square a hair larger than 4 3/4 inches to ensure it would fit snug into the case. I didn’t want it to wiggle loose. I used a light green card stock for the square.
A little note about the paper used. The paper cover is not secured to the inside of the case with glue. It is held by small clips on the inside edges of the case. Card stock has a stiffness that doesn’t sag, so I didn’t need to worry about it slipping out of the clips. I have tried regular scrapbook paper, but it proved too flimsy. That said, I do think the thinner paper layered on top of the card stock square could be used for this project.
The cuts of the paper pieces were just too perfect. Too add another dimension to the project, I stitched around the images using my sewing machine and blue thread. You may be wondering if I was wearing my glasses while sewing. (giggles) Yes, I was. My intention was to soften the cover with a whimsical, primitive embellishment.