This was the particle board hutch I referred to in my previous “Junk Finds” post as a nightmare. Ordinarily I restyle furniture to sell, but I have never felt confident about painting particle board. I needed additional cupboard space in the house we just moved into, so I decided the $12 price tag was worth the effort for something I planned on keeping.
I cleaned the hutch well, but I resisted the urge to sand. I was afraid of sanding through the top layer and exposing the particle board underneath. I have seen the effects of particle board that has gotten wet and I didn’t want to take the chance it would happen on this hutch. Not sanding posed the biggest problem. Would the paint stick effectively? I think it did, but I would never sell it. Scratches or scuffs in the paint still appear too easily.
I removed the broken and torn cardboard backing and added my own backing using wood from my stash. I like the look, even though it’s not visible on my finished hutch. It was also needed to stabilize the hutch, so it was all good.
I reattached the lower doors, but the top was completely open. That wasn’t going to work for me. This hutch was going to be used to store unsightly craft supplies.
I considered making a door, but I went the easy route. I have a lot of lace curtain panels. I simply cut the bottom to the needed length and hung the curtain inside the opening using a tension rod. Eventually I might add curtains inside the bottom doors, but for now I think it will work.
I Was Featured!!!!
Places I’m partying this week: