Well, summer is almost over. This past weekend my husband and I moved our youngest son back to Pitt for his second year of college. He had much more stuff to move than last year as he is renting a house with several other students. Thankfully we had the craft trailer to pack most of the stuff, but the kid’s car and ours were also full.
The weekend was spent packing, unpacking and shopping. My son wasn’t sure what he would need (and he put off asking until we arrived), so we had to hit the yard sales in Pitt on Saturday morning. Yep, I’m sure you know what kind of hardship that was for me. 😉 We had a list and tried to find as much as we could, but in the end we did end up going to Dollar Tree and Walmart to finish getting the necessities.
And then we came home…
The kid bought a new mattress and box springs just before moving, so we were left with the old mattress and box spring…and no bed frame.
My frugal radar started going off. We needed to have an extra bed for occasional guests, but I was not willing to spend any money on it. I had made a bed frame for our king bed many years ago. I knew it could be done. The problem was determining whether the mattress and box springs were salvageable. The kid had been telling us for years that it kept sinking and felt like it had no support when he laid on it. hmm…
Ah ha! I found three breaks in slats and the side frame. Now can I just say how confused I am? Not about the breaks, but the fact that we call the thing a box spring and there was not one spring on the whole thing. As you know, I have used bed springs in a lot of projects and have taken apart my share of vintage bed springs. This just confuses me. Oh well, on with my story.
The cardboard overlay on the top side of the box was cracked and sagging. I removed it and replaced it with fresh cardboard. Then it was just a matter of replacing the fabric cover and the dust cover.
Tip: A staple gun is your best friend. 😉
After the frame was built I added slats across the width and cut more 2x4s for the legs. The whole thing then got a dry brushed coat of paint.
I had a vintage metal headboard and foot board in storage that I had thought I would use to make a bench, but this seemed like the perfect option for my guest bed. Vintage beds do not necessary line up with modern mattress sizes, but in this case it really didn’t matter. I had my husband remove the brackets for the rails and drill holes through the legs.
Woot! Woot! That’s it! Nothing left but to make it. Uh…ignore the wimpy pillow. I found this one in my extra bedding. I have no idea why I kept it. It’s awful! I actually want two, so I will be making my only purchase for this bed. Not bad. I think I can spring for a couple of pillows.