I’ve noticed several variations of this display in the last few weeks and it sparked my imagination on what to do with a few shutters I have in my junking stash.
The shutters I found online didn’t really give instructions on how they did it, but that has never stopped me before.
I dug out two grungy sets of shutter pairs. Honestly, I think the most difficult part of this project was removing all the old rusty hardware. The tools I had on hand didn’t seem to want to cooperate…but I gotter done.
I also removed the spine on three shutters. The protrusion was just getting in the way. Removing the spine allows the blinds to move freely, which can be a giant pain. I folded them all the same way and ran masking tape done the center of one side of the shutters.
On the other side of the shutters, I painted them light blue and brown to give them a “new” old weathered look. The paint provided the glue to hold the blinds in place. I removed the tape and painted the other side in the same way.
I placed the three shutters side-by-side with the backs facing up, then measured across the width of all three. I cut two pieces of scrap wood a little shorter than the measurement. I gave them a paint job like the shutters.
Lastly, I attached an old coat hook to the center shutter for displaying wreaths, frames, wall pockets…
The Missing Cat: Our cat went missing while I was working on this project. We were devastated. The next day I went out to look for him. As soon as I walked out the door, I saw the salvaged board that had held the coat hook I used in the project. That was my aha moment. I went out to the barn, opened the door, and out popped our cat. He gave me the business all the way back to the house.
I was featured!!!
Places I’m partying this week: